Giving Birth Abroad

I went to school in the US and came back home after completing my degree. The plan was to stay in Chicago for a while, get a bit of work experience and move back to Nigeria (to improve the power industry, Lol). Getting a job didn't quite work out. In the middle of the economic crisis in 2008, two job offers were withdrawn. I decided to go back home.

I have to be honest, living in Nigeria is slow. My career hasn't advanced as brilliantly as I would have expected. I'm not earning half as much as I expected to be raking in monthly, by now. In summary, living in Nigeria has been hard, but I am happy to be home and I am still hopeful for the future, though many people will call that a foolish hope considering the 'regression' in Nigeria over the last few years.

This is why I started thinking about having my children in America many years ago. It's supposed to be easy - Get a visa, Speak with doctors and/or a hospital, Choose your travel date and buy a ticket, Go and have your healthy baby, Process the papers and what have you, Come back to Nigeria with your American Baby. Shikena! Only problem is that this all costs about $10000 (N3.6m), and I have chosen one of the cheapest hospital/doctor combos available in all of the US.

I don't have that kind money right now; my biggest concern now is if someone dropped $10k in my lap now and said do what you want with it, would going to America to give birth be the smartest decision? Is it the will of God?

I have a little over 10 weeks to go, which means I have to travel in about 4 weeks. Based on what I can see right now, that can't happen. We're trusting God none the less.

Comments

Popular Posts